My Journey

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Still In Transition

Realizing that there may always be more small town in me than I would like to admit.
I was raised in a town where I knew everybody and everybody knew me. The only danger I was ever really in was that which my friends and I created ourselves to pass the time. But now...I'm learning.
Learning that smiling at complete strangers and saying hello may sometimes get me more than I bargained for.
That 'Minnesota Nice' does not apply to many of the places I frequent, especially the walk to and from work.
That I'm not as tough as I would like to think I am, and that if I'm going to survive where my future is taking me, I need to work on that.
That there is a reason why you don't assume all people are good and well meaning, and there is a reason why we pass hundreds of people on the street without ever saying a word.
The walls go up...the shell hardens...and as I walk today I will say goodbye to the small town girl until I get to a place where I am protected from all that is this city.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    Live in New York City, but not so long that it makes you hard.
    I've heard that before. And I believe it! "Some day you'll find your small town world on a big town avenue..."
    "But if the bright lights don't receive you, you should turn yourself around and come on home."
    (Rob Thomas rocks)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home