My Journey

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Rant Continued...

The day went on and I continued to become more irritated about the 'hoodlums' comment.
We were playing a game as part of a group presentation (the offender was part of the group presenting.) It was obvious they had not put much time or thought into their presentation, and their 'spinner' was a paper plate with a straightened paper clip stabbed through the middle so it would spin. If you were a 2nd grader what's the first thing you would do with that paper clip? Take it out and stab people with it. Not that you could do a lot of damage, but still...it's not developmentally appropriate if you're 7 years old. So I said that in our comments part - that I've worked with students who would stab people with the paper clip.
"Those are your hoodlums," said the guy. Everyone, including my professor, laughed and the class went on.
"My Red Lake (kindergarten) students would have done that," said a girl in my class. No response - change of subject.
GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I left pissed. First of all, his statement was arrogant and ignorant. Second of all, he's half-assing his way through our program, along with many of my classmates in Crookston (ITV). He should not be able to graduate with the same degree I will. I have worked for mine. I have learned for mine. But most importantly...what happens when he gets a teaching job outside of white, hunting, small town Minnesota? What happens if he gets a minority or low income student in his classroom? I understand that no one is perfect, but he makes comments like this all the time. He should not be allowed to influence little kids.
Teaching is not a back-up profession. People that cannot decide what they want to do should go in to business - not education. (No offense Laura - you rock, and any profession would be lucky to have you. He would be the kind of business major you hate.)
I do not understand how college seniors can be racist. Open your eyes and stop being afraid damnit.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:25 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    haha, you know me to well,,, he is one main reason I am going to teach! Not because I can't decided what to do, but because my passion lies somewhere far from ignorant assholes who think the world was made for them and they can do anything they want in it. And that kid should not go into business, because believe it or not it's changing, more and more they are being held responsible (slowly, but surely) and he'd get burned.. haha. damnit call me!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home