My Journey

Friday, February 04, 2005

Uncertainty

Oh how blurry life becomes when the things that were always so black and white become grey. Talking with Jake today about options...
Option 1: (secured) Internship in the cities with Ready4K, an early childhood advocacy group.
Option 2: (not secured) Internship in Washington DC with the Department of Education doing policy work
Option 3: (not secured) Teach For America - graduate in May with a Political Science degree and commit to two years of teaching inner city kids

A year ago options 2 and 3 would have been much higher picks than option 1. I had nothing holding me here, or anywhere for that matter - I was free.
Now I have something very powerful holding me here - my heart. I could leave - I could experience option 2 or 3 and gain greatly from it, yet something tells me I wouldn't be truly satisfied...experiencing so much and not being able to share it with him. I need more than wordly success to make me feel happy. Happiness is feeling loved, appreciated, taken care of...believed in. I grew up with this. I was raised in a close family, and while leaving them was not easy, I knew that I was making the right choice. I can't see leaving him as the right choice. It might be the easiest - I'm used to leaving, being selfish in a way - doing what was best for me. But staying and listening to my heart - throwing away a career opportunity - thinking not of a 'me', but an us - that's something I've never done...
I shouldn't even be thinking about this - who knows if I'll even get in to options 2 or 3...but if I do decisions will need to be made fast. I need to be prepared...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home