My Journey

Monday, February 14, 2005

Victories

Senator Ruud is supporting the tuition freeze.
She went from telling us that she 'would be her mortgage' on it failing and that the only way it would even get a hearing is by a miracle to supporting it. We called numerous times, we took 40 students down to meet with her. We attended a town meeting on our day off showing up with signs and questions. We were persistant and it paid off. Victory feels great. It's a small battle, and we have a huge war ahead of us, but little victories like this remind me why we do what we do - because we believe in it.
How frustrating it is when fellow students don't support us. Most of the time it's because they don't understand the process - what we're asking for, why we believe we're valid, etc. If you have questions ask me. We are doing what is best for the students of Bemidji State - our legislators know that and agree with us. What an awesome feeling that is. Today there is no getting us down - today we won.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Laura said...

    Wahoo! Congrats Julie! I am happy!! I hope that you were not offended when I asked a question about it, as to what will happen in a couple years after the freeze. I just remember Jusin (the one you hired to come to all the campi :) I think that's his name) explained it to me and it made sense, and I just forgot what he'd said and wanted to hear it again. I wasn't trying to say it was a bad idea or something... .. not at all! Hope you had a good Vday.. I'll call ya.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home