My Journey

Monday, May 02, 2005

Summer Reading Begins...

"My students, primarily students of color from low-income families, taught me, their white, middle-class teacher, valuable lessons about the situated nature of ability and disability and about the ways in which class, race, gender, and languages intersect with power and privilege to shape opportunities in and out of school. Throught their competence and resilience, they taught me to question my place within an educational system that had rewarded me with high grades, scholarships, and opportunities to pursue advanced degrees, but positioned them as at-risk, low achieveing, emotionally disturbed, learning disabled, and, in some cases, simply dangerous."
Kathleen Collins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home