My Journey

Monday, May 02, 2005

Epiphany

We've been friends for the last 4 years. At times we were closer than others, but friends none the less.
In the beginning he fascinated me. He had a focus and a drive I'd never seen before. There were times when he let that focus push me away, which caused resentment, which eventually led to an apology and a good conversation. At times I've felt like his equal, at other times felt like I had nothing to offer the friendship. Good times and bad, I never really got him - until today.
I have a job - my dream job, in fact, at least for this stage in my career. Not only do I have it, but I have a year to prepare for it. I will be teaching special ed - I've had one class that prepares me for that. I'll read and volunteer and soak up all I can and I'll be ready. 100 times more ready than I am now.
It's as if by always knowing what I wanted to do, I missed the passion that comes with discovering it.
Today...riding my bike home from the rec...I discovered it again and it came with this overwhelming sense of focus.
I have a purpose - a very specific one. I will study. I will teach. I will advocate. I will seek relationships with those who inspire and support me, and not worry so much about those who don't.
Everything he's been trying to teach me for the last 4 years suddenly makes sense.
Weird.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM , Blogger Dr. Gregory Roberts said...

    What will you advocate?

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    If I had infinite amounts of time I would advocate for a few different causes.
    Since I don't, I'll probably focus most of my time on educational equity issues - making sure that all kids have access to quality education and good teachers, especially kids labeled 'at risk' or 'special needs'...they're really just under believed in.

     
  • At 8:50 PM , Blogger wanderer said...

    Who is this "he?"

     
  • At 9:48 PM , Blogger Berne said...

    Whoever "he" is, he must've had an impact on you.

    I'm glad someone believes in special ed. A kid came in to the lab yesterday and told me he didn't believe in mainstreaming and too much money got spent on special ed...I wanted to punch him out.

     
  • At 11:30 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Kamran -
    Who do you think 'he' is?

     
  • At 9:32 PM , Blogger Laura said...

    I hope I inspire you because I really like spending time with you.. How about it's OK if I don't inspire you if you inspire me? Cuz then we could still hang out.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home