My Journey

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Lions, Boxes, and Boca Burgers

I spent the morning at the zoo with my students. 2 hours was too much for them, and by the end I was carrying a 2 year old in one arm and a 3 year old in the other.
I'd been to this zoo before but this time was different. They helped me notice not just the animals, but the pictures on the ice cream truck and the puddles of water that form near drains. "Green, green, green!" one of them kept shouting as she pointed at the grass. I wish all of us could remember when such everyday things were so fascinating.
Eric spent nearly 5 minutes making hand prints on the outside of the tiger cage, and when I told him to stop because the tiger wouldn't be able to see out, he sang the tiger the ABCs as an apology.
As I helped them on the bus I didn't say goodbye, but instead 'see you later'. I'll stop by to visit tomorrow, and again the next time I'm in the cities.
I made a difference in the lives of these kids, and as much as part of me doesn't want to, it's time to move on.
After lunch with a friend I came home and began packing. Moving used to be therapuetic - a time to reflect on where I had been and where I was going but today I simply felt in between.
Hikes and coffee and finishing school and catching up with friends vs. ethnic food and sky scrapers and weekends full of movies and plays and culture and a boy. It is not possible to choose one over the other, and as I leave I know that I am lucky to have both.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:31 PM , Blogger Berne said...

    The difference is that in the cities, the ethnic food is authentic.

    lol

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home