My Journey

Monday, October 11, 2004

Fallen

"Fallen"
Heaven bend to take my hand and lead me through the fire
Be the long awaited answer to a long and painful fight
Truth be told I've tried my best but somewhere along the way
I got caught up in all there was to offer
And the cost was so much more than I could bear
Though I've tried, I've fallen...
I have sunk so low I have messed up
Better I should know so don't come round here and tell me I told you so...
We all begin with good intent
Love was raw and young
We believed that we could change ourselves
The past could be undone but we carry on our backs the burden
Time always reveals the lonely light of morning
The wound that would not heal
It's the bitter taste of losing everything that I have held so dear
Sarah McLachlan
Reading Julie's post today set a tone for a day of reflection. What happend to who I was freshman year? To the person who believed so much in something - in God - that I couldn't help but emit joy. When did I become constantly pesimistic and doubtful? It's affected everything - the lack of joy. How do I get it back without giving up what I've gained - the knowledge, the freedom, the relationships? What does God think as He watches me everyday? Is He frustrated with my inconsitency of fascinated by my journey? Is He annoyed or entertained? Is this part of His plan for me or have I left him...
I don't know if it was a choice to stray or if it just happened. There's moments I feel it - the voice inside that tells me I'm empty - chasing things that mean nothing in the end. But I've gotten good at tuning it out, so I go about my life pretending it all means something - and in the end I think some of it will if I quit being selfish. Moments of clarity are often followed by moments of, well, not so much clarity. I've felt like this before - how much does it take for me to actually change something?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    The feelings of guilt come from within me, not something the religion has taught me. Christianity taught me to repent and move on because God loves and forgives me, no matter what I do. Out of a desire to please Him and feel worthy I feel guilty, even though I don't need to.
    You are absolutely right about my needing to spend energy on making change rather than feeling guilty, but reflection is good for me, and in this case it took other people to make me stop and realize how far I've come from something that is important to me...

     
  • At 11:12 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    No confusion...you just made me stop and think more, which is good :)
    I'm starting to read a book called Messy Spirituality, a book that Julie gave me, focusing on Christians not being perfect, but real - raw, experiencing life, and sharing it all with God...will put a good perspective on my reflection I think. We'll have to talk about it someday...maybe over coffee at Uptown :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home