My Journey

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Stadiums

Yesterday on MPR they had a story on the potential new stadium for the Vikings/Twins/Gophers.
While the whole story pissed me off, the quote that made me scream at the radio was, "The Twins, Vikings, and Gophers want a new stadium." Like THAT is the reason that the state should invest over $100 million into the damn thing.
Well, dear Legislators, this is what I want.
I want to be able to go to school and not have to work 30 hours a week in addition to taking out $5000 in loans to pay for it.
I want to teach kids in a large classroom with all the necessary equipment and not have to waste dozens of instruction days on your standardized tests.
I want my friends who can't afford insurance to be able to get the medical care they need.
I want my students at the Y to be well taken care of. Many of their parents can't even afford to buy food and diapers.
I want people to be able to find jobs that pay more than $9/hour after graduating from college.
I want to not have the urge to pack my bags and leave the country after every speech I hear our president make.
There are things our state needs a lot more than a stadium. Help the people that need it, and let the whiney professional athletes, their coaches, and the team owner pay for their own stadium.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Yea!

    I picked up the new "the Journey that Matters" and totally reminicsed! I loved your story and seeing everyone's pictures.

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Blogger Berne said...

    You're darn right!

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Blogger nrlaumei said...

    Amen.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    ja -
    i'll have to borrow yours sometime. i don't have it in my budget to buy one right now...

     
  • At 9:46 AM , Blogger Laura said...

    Just so you know, that's not the whole story or all the details. It's a lot more complicated than the legislature GIVING the money to the teams. At least in the Twins case: that's NOT the case.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home