My Journey

Sunday, May 07, 2006

I Heart Minneapolis Hippies

I spent May Day weekend doing lots of "hippie" things :)
I volunteered at the Living Green expo and ate lots of organic food and learned about how we're killing the Earth and ourselves with things like pesticides and plastic.
I hung out with other hippie people in the volunteer room and ate organic carrots and drank carob soy milk.
We saw Mike Doughty amidst the smell of beer and through a haze of cigarette and pot smoke.
We went to a pot luck and ate lots of quiche and bread and sat through a self professed "hippie parade" about the beginning of a new year and the rebirth of free speech. A little boy randomly brought me a flower and said, "Happy May Day!" People danced in the streets with bare feet and the best I could do was sit back and capture the moment on film, wondering if I would ever fall in love with the culture of a city like I have with this one.
I'm left sunburned and tired, but rejuvinated.
Gringo, I thought of you lots this weekend - you would have mumbled "hippie" a lot - then I would have laughed, and you would have laughed back.
It was a weekend like all weekends should be. Stress and work free - calm and sunny. Something tells me I may be back here someday...

4 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM , Blogger Krystle said...

    Okay - you don't know me, but I found your blog off of Lindsi's when she had it. I just read this post, and noticed you know a Mike Doughty. Can I ask? Is he from around here..and is he crazy super fun, and does he love to go to WI Badger football games? If you're wondering, I know a guy by the name of that... and just curious if it's the same one.

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    actually mike doughty is a musician - he did a concert at uwrv's "finals fest"...his music is awesome - www.mikedoughty.com - check him out!

     
  • At 8:31 AM , Blogger Krystle said...

    Alrighty, thanks for the reply! I'll have to check him out ... =)

     
  • At 7:47 PM , Blogger Jake said...

    you're right, i would have done that a lot. luckily, here in the peace corps, there are lots of silly vegetarians and stuff that i can pick on. i just asked this one if vegetarians can eat the heads of animals. she didn't give me a concise answer. so can you? there's not really any meat on a head. mostly brain and bone. if i were a vegetarian i would eat animal heads.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home