My Journey

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Mice Are Not My Friends

But yet they seem to really like our apartment.
We have put steel wool down holes, duct taped them shut, and put out numerous traps. We clean all the time and don't leave out food.
But alas, we live in New York City. And it's getting cold. Which means mice season. Eew.
Today, as I was making myself some delicious cornbread to go with my yummy veggie chili that the boy and I slow cooked all day, I saw something run across the top of the toaster oven out of the corner of my eye. Mind you, I am terrified of mice, and think I always see them.
'Just make your cornbread, it's nothing' I told myself.
Then, it ran across the counter and behind the stove, in all of it's grey, furry, long tailed glory.
I left the room just as fast as it had scurried under the stove.
"There'samouseinthekitchenandI'mgoingtopeemypants," I told the boy. "Go catch it."
"What?" he asked.
"There'samouseinthekitchenandI'mgoingtopeemypants," I told the boy. "Go catch it. Hurry, before it comes in here."
And, being the knight in shining armor he is, he did, and he trapped it, but then neither one of us know what you do with a trapped mouse, and before we could figure it out (me yelling from the other room, feet up on the couch), it escaped to under the stove.
Oy. I will not miss all the rodents when we leave this city.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    I hate mice! Why can't they just stay down in the basement like they are supposed to. Why aren't they scared when you are standing next to them?! When I walk downstairs I stomp my feet and yell at them to scurry so I don't see them.

    When I see them upstairs I yell at them some more - why aren't they scared of me and cease to come upstairs?

     
  • At 5:19 PM , Blogger Ms. E said...

    I thought I broke down some real barriers for you when I tossed fake mice around our old apartment.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home