My Journey

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Learning Sign Language in the Office

Did an observation at the Center for Early Intervention today - was drawn to a child who was hearing impaired. His parents refuse to sign with him at home, thus until his admission into this program 3 weeks ago, he has had no one formally communicate with him throughout his life. HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE A DESIRE TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CHILD? I found myself watching him and thinking, what if this was my student? I could not teach him, I could not even tell him goodmorning. I need to learn sign language...
Spent lots of time in the office today because Jake was sick. Had 7 people come in to ask various questions - what would they have done if I wasn't here? Probably come back, but what if they didn't? I need to be accessible and this office needs to be staffed all of the time - it's not because we only have 14 senators - we need people! We cannot effectively represent and be a resource for students if we are not here...
It's hitting me that soon I will have my own classroom. I will be responsible for building the educational foundation of my students. I am not here to 'slide by' and simply get good grades - I am here to learn how to relate with and educate my students - am I doing that, or am I more concerned with getting a 4.0?
Passions colliding, just like Julie was saying...I want to give 100% to Senate, 100% to my classes, 100% to friends and to Brandon but at the end of the day, there's nothing left to give yet somehow it gives me life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home